Thursday, February 4, 2010

Time To Head South!

After two weeks of hobbling around I am more than ready to head to New Mexico and Arizona. Each day my foot gets a little better and the day before yesterday I was able to put a shoe on the right foot. I think this is the first time in two weeks that the toes on my right foot haven't been cold. I was also able to take a shower for the first time the other day without bagging my foot up in a plastic bag to keep it from getting wet. That was a real treat and I think I pretty nearly used 50 gallons of hot water!


This morning I went down to the storage lot and brought Bivouac (that's the name for my new trailer) back home to begin preparing it for my departure on Sunday. The first thing I had to do was to sanitize the plumbing system. To do this I filled up the water tank and added a prescribed amount of bleach. I then ran all the faucets for a while to purge the antifreeze that the dealer put in the system and make sure that bleach laden water was in all the pipes. After letting that stand for about three hours I drained the whole system and refilled with clean water.


I'm now in the process of loading all the things I'll need on this three week trip. Food, clothing, tools, dinner ware, bedding, towels....and a zillion other things. I expect that it will take several trips before I get everything packed and arranged in a sensible matter and right now I'm just hoping I don't forget to pack something really important.


On the down side, while sanitizing the plumbing I discovered a small leak in the shower. Not a big deal but when I went to tighten the fitting, I broke it. Tomorrow morning I'll have to find a replacement. It shouldn't be hard to find it's just a matter of the time it takes to find and go get the replacement. I'm glad I had the foresight to schedule three full days to get ready for this first trip.


On the computer front, I mentioned in my last post that Windows Live Writer had been acting up on me. The program would crash every time I entered an ' (apostrophe) or " (quotation mark). I emailed the Live Writer help desk and they said this is a known problem and gave me a list of things to do to resolve the issue. Long story short, it didn't work and even crashed the program sooner.


After some research on the web I discovered another program, Qumana, that does the same sort of thing as Live Writer. It's not quite as "slick" as Live Writer but as you can see from the first part of this sentence (' + ") it's not crashing so I'll continue to use it for now.


Tomorrow I'll try and post some photos of the trailer and the process of getting it ready for the trip.


Thanks for visiting.


Tags: , , , Tags:


Powered by Qumana


No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs