Thursday, April 26, 2007

Moab on the Rocks!

Twenty-four days until the bride and I leave for our trip to Moab. Gosh, that sounds like a long time, but I suppose it will be here before I know it. This has been a LONG winter and it seems like forever since I last had the trailer out. I am so ready for a road trip!

Moab on the Rocks is a trip that started 10 years ago by a few guys in the Denver area. Over the years, participation has increased to the point that there are now upwards of 40 people that show up every year. I started participating about three years ago and it's become something that I really look forward to.

This is a four wheel drive trip on some of the most famous trails in the world! The terrain is challenging. The scenery is spectacular and the fellowship is great. The entire experience is just a great big rush. I don't think there is anything about the trip I don't enjoy immensely except maybe having to leave on Sunday.

The trip to Moab itself is outstanding. In one day you go from the high plains of eastern Colorado, over the continental divide and into the desert southwest.

Now, before you start thinking that you didn't know I drove like that, I have to tell you that I don't. I don't drive, I ride! I've got way too many expensive hobbies already, to take one up like this. Besides, for the driver, this is hard work. You have to pay attention all the time and something invariably breaks while you're on the trail and you have to figure out how to fix it.

I've got Guitar and Two Timing, Too Tall instead. They are the ones that got me into this to begin with, three years ago. I loved it then and I love it more now, but I love riding. Very fortunately, they love driving and having the equipment to do all this stuff.

It's not that they can do this without me. Who would provide the witty repartee like..."Whoa, good one there Guitar!"? Who would give them expert advice on what "line" to take like..."Too Tall, Are you out of your mind?!" And most importantly, when they have the urge to do just one more trail and everyone else wants to stay home, who would watch their ladies and their liquor? Let me tell you, that's not a job you want just anyone to do!

Anyway, back to topic. This trip is about doing stuff in a motor vehicle that things with wheels are not supposed to be able to do. It's also about feeling and seeing the grandeur of the American Southwest. And of course it's about friends...the circle of friends.

There's so much to tell....even before we leave, that I think I'll stretch this out into several posts.






Thanks for visiting...and stay tuned!



No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs