Monday, July 13, 2009

62, And On The Dole

fatherson Happy Birthday to me! Yesterday I achieved the venerable age of 62 and I am now a consumer rather than a producer of our nations resources. In a couple of weeks I will start receiving a retirement pension from the company I worked for for 35 years. In September I will begin receiving a Social Security check as well.

All in all, I feel terrific and have no major infirmities. For this I am grateful. I wish the best for our country and the young people in the workforce today. I hope both succeed beyond their wildest dreams because without their success, my future will not be secure.

Today would have been my Dad’s 91st birthday. He died last August and not a day goes by that I don’t think of him and wish that I could ask him just one more question. The picture of he and I, above, was taken last June. It’s one of my favorites of the two of us together. We’re both smiling because I had just smuggled in a little white wine into his apartment so that we could have a sip or two together.

The day after tomorrow would have been my paternal grandfather’s 110th birthday. As you can see July is a busy month in my family. My grandfather has been gone for 45 years now but I would give anything to be able to talk with him again.

Finally, my paternal grandmother would have been 111 years old on July 10th. Neither my Dad nor I ever had the opportunity to know her but I would have loved to have had that privilege.

I had an absolutely wonderful birthday in California visiting my daughter CaJenn and her husband CaJon which I’ll tell you about in the next post.

Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs