Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Pecos Conference & Will California Be Open?

banner There is absolutely no connection between the two subjects above except that they both involve myself, his-self. The first item is the Pecos Conference and I am excited about it! The Pecos Conference is a gathering of people interested in all things archaeology related to the South West United States. Started in 1927 by several of the biggest names in American archaeology, it brings together amateurs and professionals for a couple of days of presentations and demonstrations. There are also vendors, a barbecue, a dance and field trips to some great archaeological sites in the area. I first heard of this event a year or so ago and thought it might be interesting. Two weeks ago while I was working on the PIT project one of the other volunteers told me more about it and said that I should attend if I could. This year it is being held in the vicinity of the small SW Colorado town of Cortez so I figured, Why Not?.

For the princely sum of $73.00, I get all of the things mentioned above, AND, I get to camp free at the site of the conference…a reservoir north of Cortez. Not only is this great entertainment but it’s also CHEAP entertainment. Did I mention that they throw in a T-shirt too?

The conference is August 6-9 and right now I plan to leave on Wednesday the 5th and return on Monday the 10th. I’m thinking that Wednesday night I’ll stay at the Great Sand Dunes National Park which is about half way there. There is nothing important happening on Thursday other than registration and a reception so it won’t matter if I straggle in, in the afternoon. On Sunday I have my choice of about 12 different field trips and I haven’t decided yet which one to do.

This will be a cool trip. Maybe a little hot as Cortez is in pretty arid country but I’m looking forward to it.

Now on to “Will California Be Open?”. Thursday morning The Bride and I leave for the San Francisco area to visit CaJenn and CaJon. With all the ruckus about California being broke I hope they don’t close the airports? Don’t laugh, this is California I’m talking about. CaJenn reports that the local weather will be fantastic with temps in the 70’s. My timing is perfect because it is supposed to get in the mid to upper 90’s here in the next few days.

This will probably be my last post until next week as The Bride and I don’t get back home until late Sunday.

Thanks for visiting.

3 comments:

Marian Ann Love said...

The Pecos Conf. sounds like a lot of fun and I know you will be taking some great pics to post. Can't wait to see them.

Also, want to wish you and the Bride a safe and enjoyable trip to CA and hope it will still be open when you get there! :)

Gene Bach said...

From the sounds of things were closed 3 Fridays a month now and it won't be long before that goes to 4 Fridays a month. Avoid the weekends and you should be fine. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Happy B Day - wherever you are ? Rocket and Woodrow

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs