Thursday, February 21, 2008

It's Mine


After a couple of weeks of looking, researching and negotiating, I am now the owner of a "new to me" Class A RV. I currently own a travel trailer and have owned boats in the past. The old saying with boats is "The happiest days in a man's life are the day he buys a boat....and the day he sells it." This may be true for RVs as well and if it is, today is a happy day.

I have enjoyed my trailer for a couple of years now but it just didn't allow me to do all the things I wanted to do. My new Class A won't either, but I'll be able to do a lot more of those things with this RV than I could with "Bivouac". When Bivouac was hooked to the tow vehicle the entire thing was over 40 feet long....That requires a lot of space to maneuver and turn around. I had to be real careful about where I went so that I didn't get myself boxed in. Believe me, backing up a 40 foot rig for more than a few hundred feet is not something you look forward to doing!

My new rig is 25 feet long, bumper to bumper. This is a size that I can easily "boondock" in. For the uninitiated, "boondocking" is the art of overnight camping in areas that do not have power and water hookups and many times are not in recognized campgrounds.

One of my favorite sayings is "Life is a Tradeoff" and it is true in this case as well. When I exchange 40 foot length for 25 foot length I lose living space, storage space and a separate transportation vehicle. For my purposes however, this will not be an issue and things are going to work just fine.

It will be about 10 days until the title is transferred, required mechanical work is completed and I can think about "gettin on down the road". Actually, I don't need to think about it at all. I have already laid out a shakedown cruise to New Mexico, so as soon as all the irritating details are taken care of....I'm gone!

As a follow up to my last post about my built in oven, I am currently waiting for a part to be shipped to me. The repair service has decided to change out three parts including a new blower fan which they feel will resolve the problem. My online research indicates that it will not. Anyhow, the parts were scheduled to be installed today but one part is back-ordered so the repair has been rescheduled for next week. As soon as the repair guy puts the unit back in the wall, I will start the self clean cycle with every expectation that it will self destruct.....hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

janet copenhaver said...

Congratulations on your purchase, someday I'll own one of those.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs