Saturday, July 14, 2007

Day #5 for #4


Both #4 and myself have now become accustomed to the solitude and isolation of the previous four days. The KOA in Alamosa did for us what we wanted it to do....but we had to accept constant traffic on the nearby road and being just feet away from other RVs. It's time to "blow this joint" and return to the mountains for our final night.

Cottonwood Lake was our final nights destination. About 120 miles to the north to Buena Vista and then west up to the mountains. This is the campground that my family camped in many times in the mid 1960's. In the picture to the right you can see the blue and white Shasta trailer pulled by a red Pontiac Starchief station wagon that Mom and Dad "educated" us with. The picture was taken in the same campground that #4 and I would now occupy for the night some 40 years later. I don't know about #4, but I got a might misty eyed just thinking about it.

I also had to remind #4, that while he slept in the relative comfort of the trailer those many years ago, I slept in a surplus army pup tent that you can see in the picture at the top.

True to form now, we arrived about lunch....had some....and went exploring. Well, exploring doesn't really fit in this case because I am well acquainted with the area. What I did was to show #4 the sights and the place to start was the top of Cottonwood Pass.

Th
e threatening clouds could not make the view any less spectacular...or the wild flowers any less stunning. We spent considerable time taking pictures and soaking up the beauty.

On the way back down to the campground we stopped to chat with a young lady that was painting pictures of the same flowers #4 and I
were expending electrons on with the digital camera. Seems like we weren't the only ones struck by the magnificence of the area.

Back at the campground, I decided to try my luck at fishing in my old "honey hole". I've got to tell you that I haven't fished for over 10 years now. Can't really tell you why but I haven't. Two years ago I started buying fishing licenses again but still haven't actually wet a line until this day, July 12th, my 60th bir
thday.

The magic of Cottonwood Lake continues to tug at me, as by the time I made my 3rd cast, I caught a beautiful little brown trout. Sorry, but there are no pictures. You'll just have to believe this old fisherman. I not only caught one but I caught two and lost two more in the hour or so before it started raining.

The rain finally made me quit and go back to the trailer. It was getting late anyway so #4 and I fixed dinner and chatted for the last night out. Pioneer hours took over and we were in bed at dark resigned to the fact that the adventure was pretty much over....for this time.

Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs