Thursday, January 18, 2007

North Carolina Kitsch






My recent trip to Winston-Salem, NC allowed me to continue my search for "wierdness". The "Old North State" is pretty conservative so their kitsch is relatively low key. The Piedmont region of NC is known not only for its barbecue, but also for it's furniture industry. It's fitting then that NC kitsch comes in the form of giant furniture. Here are some pictures of giant bureaus in the High Point area and a giant chair in Thomasville.

Note the socks hanging out of the drawer in the image to the right.

Next week my travels take me to Chicagoland and my research indicates that I'll have the opportunity to see a "Muffler Man"! This is really exciting stuff so stay tuned!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs